Prospective degree candidates are expected to demonstrate a readiness for graduate study and an aptitude for successful performance in graduate level work in business administration. Admission to the program is based on the applicant's undergraduate record, a satisfactory score on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE), and other evidence pertaining to ability to perform well in graduate work in business administration. Special circumstances and work experience may be considered if presented. More specifically, the applicant must:
Meet all admission requirements set forth by the Graduate School. These requirements are outlined at the Graduate School web site.
Complete the GMAT or the GRE and have the results of the test mailed directly to graduate programs, College of Business. Arrange to take the GMAT or GRE six to twelve months prior to the semester in which you plan to enroll. Applicants should have their official scores sent to the Graduate Programs Office, code 1726. Applicants must score a minimum of 550 on the GMAT. A GRE score can be converted to a GMAT score using the online converter found here: http://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/about/mba/comparison_tool
The entire application process is online. Please go to the SIU Graduate School Application to begin. You will start with the general Graduate School portion of the application, followed by a "departmental" portion. Please make sure to specify Business Administration as your "department" and "oncampus" as your MBA program concentration.
Within the Graduate School portion of the online application, you do not need to upload a biographical statement, writing sample, or portfolio.
At several points in the College of Business portion of the online application, you have the option of uploading supporting documents. Some helpful guidelines for preparing these supporting documents follow:
- We ask for your employment history. Please prepare a single page document listing all prior paid employment. Please use the following format and number each job listed: Job #, Position, Company, Location, Dates from MM/DD/YY to MM/DD/YY.
- We ask for Resume, including Work & Military Experience: Your professional history will play an important role in shaping your graduate program experience. Although a minimum level of work experience is not required for application, having at least two years of full time work experience will greatly increase your chances of admission. Please attach your most recent resume to the email in .pdf or .docx format.
- We ask 5 "supplemental questions" in the application process (see below). You may wish to answer these questions in a separate document prior to completing the application process. You will have the opportunity to upload your typed responses to the essays to the website. Please answer these questions thoroughly and thoughtfully; they will be used for consideration in the admissions process.
- What professional and personal goals have you established for the next 5-10 years and how do you see graduate education as a means to achieve those goals?
- Describe one or more personal achievements and discuss the qualities in you that made those achievements possible. How could those same qualities lead to success in your professional career?
- Are your grade-point average and GMAT/GRE score (if known) indicative of your abilities? Explain why or why not.
- List organizations and activities in which you have been involved. Indicate leadership roles.
- List all awards, honors, scholarships, and other recognitions you have received. Also mention any scholarly or creative works you have completed that are relevant.
- We request letters of recommendation from three individuals who can attest to your academic abilities and/or professional experiences. During the application process, you will be asked to submit the names and email addresses of your three recommenders. You can also write a personal message to your recommenders during the application process. Afterwards, those individuals will receive an email with one of two options: they can complete a recommendation form or they can upload a recommendation letter to the website. The College of Business prefers to receive the recommendation letter as an uploaded document. Please communicate that preference in the personal message that you send to the recommenders.
- We request transcripts from all institutions where you have completed coursework. If you have unofficial copies of your transcripts, you can upload them during the application process. However, you still must request official transcripts to be sent to the following address:
College of Business Graduate Programs
Southern Illinois University
Rehn Hall, Room 133 - Mail Code 4625
1025 Lincoln Drive
Carbondale, Illinois 62901
We recognize that the online application is a lengthy process. However, if you prepare your documents in advance, you can minimize the time needed to complete all required portions of the application.
We cannot consider your application for admission until all portions of the application are complete, including the "departmental" application portion.