Through events such as the Accounting Career Fair, our students are given endless opportunities to fine tune their networking and personal branding skills.
The Master of Accountancy program offers two dynamic concentrations to allow students to specialize their chosen career path.
College of Business faculty members are known nationally and internationally for their contributions in teaching, research, and service in their respective fields.
College of Business students benefit from the closeness of our own specific Living Learning Community, located at Brown Hall in scenic Thompson Point.
School of Accountancy
Discover the Saluki difference!
Our program delivers just the right balance of accounting theory and practice, presented by faculty members who are nationally recognized researchers and experienced professionals. They are dedicated to student achievement, involved in student activities and have an open-door policy that invites individual interaction. Small class sizes and interactive learning promote an enriching SIU experience. Our goal is to do everything we can to help students complete their degrees AND get a jumpstart on a successful career!
Our academic and professional development programs are designed to ensure that students:
- Develop accounting expertise – preparing students for career paths ranging from traditional CPAs and internal auditors to forensic accounting, government or nonprofit organization work. We’ve earned AACSB accreditation for our program and our college, a distinction held by less than 1 percent of accounting programs worldwide. We also offer a master’s degree in accountancy, which is highly recommended for students pursuing a CPA license.
- Build practical experience – our students connect with, and learn from, our extensive network of highly successful alumni, which helps them establish beneficial professional ties. We connect students with opportunities for weeklong externships, summer leadership workshops, paid internships and employment opportunities. Thus, most of our students secure a full-time accounting job well before graduation.
- Enhance professionalism – from their freshman year on, students build networking and professional development skills so they can excel in the business environment. We host business etiquette dinners, accounting firm recruitment events and conferences, and a weekly professional meeting featuring guest speakers discussing professional development topics.
- Embrace leadership – students develop teamwork, organizational skills and practical experience – traits that today’s employers value – through involvement in four registered student organizations. Hundreds of area taxpayers benefit annually from our student-staffed Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, while our student-coordinated Accounting Challenge competition draws more than 300 high school and community college students each year.
- Launch careers – our Business Placement Center helps students build their résumés, polish interview skills and interact with dozens of prospective employers who know and value the SIU brand during our Accounting Career Fair and throughout the year. All of the “Big 4” accounting firm and many other top companies recruit Salukis because they know our graduates are prepared for the challenges of a career in accounting!