You must meet minimum general Graduate School requirements to be eligible to be considered for admission by the School of Accountancy. To be eligible to be considered for admission to a Master’s program, the following minimum GPA is required:
- 2.7 (on a 4.0 grading scale) on approximately the last two years of your Bachelor's degree
Any student not meeting the above minimum GPA requirement may apply initially as a Nondeclared Graduate Student through the Graduate School Admissions Office. Once you have earned at least 9 semester hours of graded graduate course work with a "B" average, you are then eligible to be considered for admission into the School of Accountancy. For more information, please see Nondeclared Admission.
All requirements for admission to graduate study at SIUC are specified by the Graduate School in the Graduate Catalog.
How to Apply
Students applying for admission to the Master of Accountancy program are required to:
- Complete the online application process by going to the SIU Graduate School application link at gradschool.siu.edu/apply/ and click on APPLY NOW.
- A non-refundable application fee of $65.00 must be submitted with the online application to the Graduate School.
Items Needed during application process:
- Official transcripts for all universities (Not required for SIUC graduates) attended must be sent to:
School of Accountancy
Mail Code 4631
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL 62901
- Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded while completing the online application. You are encouraged to upload your unofficial transcripts to assist in processing your application.
- Three letters of recommendation. You will enter contact information (email) for persons being asked to provide letters of recommendation when completing the online application. Those individuals will be contacted via email with a link to allow them to submit their recommendations online.
- If you completed your undergraduate degree at SIUC, no letters of recommendation are required.
- Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) (for those not receiving a waiver as described below). Information regarding the GMAT can be found at www.MBA.com. The official results of the test must be mailed directly to the Director of the MAcc Program. The MAcc Program code for the GMAT is 1731.
- The GMAT requirement is waived for students with an undergraduate major in accountancy from a 4-year undergraduate AACSB accredited institution having an overall grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- The GRE may be substituted for the GMAT. Information regarding the GRE is available at www.ets.org/gre
- If the GMAT is required, admission to the program is based on a student's undergraduate grade point average (GPA) and score from the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or GRE. The sum of the student's GPA times 200 plus the student's score on the GMAT must equal at least 1000.
- Resume. Provide a current resume.
- See the Informational Sheet for Application for Admission - International Form regarding additional application materials required of international applicants.
- Foreign-born applicants who have not completed a four-year bachelor's degree program in the United States of America (minimum 60 graded hours) are required by the Graduate School to obtain an acceptable score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination (550 paper-based score; 213 computer-based score; 80 Internet-based score); or a score of 6.5 on the IELTS, before being admitted to the Master of Accountancy degree program. The SIUC code for the TOEFL is 1726.
- Documentation of assured financial resources of not less than $42,500.00 (United States dollars) for each year you are to be a student at the University. The Financial Statement for Graduate International Students is available at the link provided above.
- Copy of your passport.
- Copy of all diplomas received.