What are goals and benefits of a MBA degree?
The MBA program is oriented toward preparing students for managerial positions in business and government. The program emphasizes the ability to comprehend internal and external social, legal, political, and economic forces as they affect the decision-making process within a business organization. The specific learning objectives of the program include the following:
- Developing critical thinking skills through in-depth analysis of business problems.
- Strengthening communication skills through class discussions, written assignments and required oral presentations
- Increasing organizational leadership skills through team projects
- Broadening comprehension of the environmental variables affecting organizational performance
- Emphasizing the global nature of today's business environment and its impact on decision making
- Enhancing decision making skills in complex environments through the use of quantitative techniques, computer simulations, database management and business games
- Integrating the theoretical and practical aspects of business through case analysis and projects
The program has been structured with flexibility so as to serve both holders of baccalaureate degrees in business administration and those who hold degrees in other disciplines.
What are the admissions requirements for the SIU MBA program?
To be considered for admissions, you need to submit a complete ONLINE application form including:
- Application for Admission to Graduate Study/Graduate School
- College of Business application (located within the Graduate School application)
- Three recommendation letters (your recommenders will receive an email request for a recommendation letter. If they do not wish to submit a letter electronically, they can mail the letter directly to us (see address below and in "Contact Us" section). The recommendation letter must refer to the student by name, must be signed, and must arrive in a sealed envelope with a signature over the seal).
- Official transcripts in signed and sealed envelopes for ALL academic work, undergraduate and graduate, even if a degree was not earned. Transcripts for work done at SIU are NOT necessary.
- An official GMAT or GRE score
- Personal Essay Questions
- Updated Resume Complete with Dates and Job Duties
- Work Experience Document
- A $65 application fee
In addition to all of the above, international applicants must also provide:
- An official TOEFL score from ETS
- A completed "Financial Statement for Graduate International Students"
- Photocopy of your passport, with name and date of birth
When should I apply?
The recommended deadlines are:
- For Fall Enrollment: June 15
- For Fall Enrollment: April 15
Applications are only accepted at certain times each year. Unless otherwise noted on the website of those dates, please contact the Graduate Programs office to find out if applications are being accepted by calling 618/453-3030.
How are candidates for admission assessed?
Each applicant is assessed individually. All aspects of application are considered with special attention given to GMAT scores, academic performance, and work experience. Using the AACSB admission points formula, we multiply the GPA of your last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework by 200 and add your GMAT/GRE score (maximum points = 1600). We consider all applications with admission points greater than 1100, with fast admission to those applicants with points above 1200. Admission decisions are made by the MBA Admissions Committee pursuant to guidelines provided by the Masters Program Committee and in consultation with the Director of Graduate Programs/Associate Dean. If you have taken the GRE, you may convert your GRE score to a GMAT score using the online converter found here: http://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/about/mba/comparison_tool
What are the minimum requirements for admissions consideration?
The Graduate School requires a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale over the last 60 credit hours (approximately two years) of study. The median UGPA of those admitted to the MBA program is approximately 3.5 on a 4 scale.
The Graduate School requires a minimum TOEFL score of 213 (computer), 80 (internet-based), or 550 (paper), or 6.5 (IELTS) for international students. Applicants who complete the Graduate School English (GSE) program at the Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) are exempt. For more information, see http://cesl.siu.edu/
Is there a minimum GMAT score for admission?
The suggested minimum of 550 is desired. Preference is given to applicants with scores at or above the 50th percentile in all sections.
Can I take the GMAT or GRE more than once?
If you take the GMAT or GRE more than once, we will accept the highest score. The GMAT & GRE Testing Services does require a 30 day wait between each exam date so keep this in mind with application deadlines.
Do you recommend any GMAT test preparation tools?
Please see the SIU Division of Continuing Education for a partnership with a 6-week online GMAT prep course: http://www.ed2go.com/siuc/online_course/gma/detail/GMAT_Preparation.html
Is post-undergraduate work experience required?
No, but work experience is considered a positive factor in the admissions decision. In addition, professional internship experience may be a benefit in application as well, though it is not a requirement for admission.
Are transfer credits allowed?
We will accept a maximum of 6 hours of transfer credit from an AACSB accredited school. Courses that meet our foundation requirements are not transferred, they are merely accepted as fulfilling the requirement.
How long will the MBA program take?
Full time students should be able to complete the program in 1½ to 2 years.
What areas of emphasis are available?
Students are required to take 12 hours of elective credits to fulfill part of the 33 credit hour minimum for a degree. Concentrations are available in finance and marketing. Students may also opt to take graduate level elective credits outside the College of Business on a pre-approved basis.
Will I have an opportunity to study abroad?
Yes. We have multiple opportunities, from a short, 1-month study abroad experience (worth 9 credit hours) to a full one year, study abroad opportunity. Due to a longstanding agreement with ESC-Grenoble, students in the MBA program at SIU have the opportunity to also receive a second Masters from Grenoble Ecole de Management in Grenoble, France. For more information, go to
How much does the program cost?
Current tuition and fees can be found here: http://tuition.siuc.edu. The College of Business charges an extra 15% differential tuition, above the rates provided at the Graduate School website. (NOTE: Tuition and costs for the online MBA are different; please see http://onlinegrad.business.siu.edu/financial/).
Remember that the minimum number of credit hours necessary to receive an MBA degree in our on-campus MBA program is 33.
Full time, on-campus students usually take 9 credit hours in the first Fall, 9 credit hours in the first Spring, internship in the Summer (preferred), 9 credit hours in the second Fall and 6 credit hours in the second Spring.
How do I apply for a Graduate Assistantship in the College of Business?
To be considered for a College of Business Graduate Assistantship please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com Only admitted students will be considered for graduate assistantships. Please do not send your application materials until you have started the application process.
There are assistantships available at other locations on campus. You can check for openings here: http://gradschool.siu.edu/cost-aid/ga/job-posting.php
What about housing?
You can get information about SIU housing here: http://www.housing.siu.edu/
If you are an International Student and need help in finding housing, go to the web site of our International Students and Scholars organization.